Saturday, June 12, 2010

Humbled & Dancing

Yesterday I had a nice visit with an former classmate, who happens to be my new oncologist. I really liked how he made eye contact while he was explaining things to me and while he was listening to me. I wish more doctors would take the time to do that!

What I found out is that I had a Stage 2a cancer, which is relatively good news. I was able to read the path report and ask questions. Turns out that the cancer went through the muscular wall of the colon and into the fat wall...it didn't go to the outside part of the colon - which is very good. The path report wrote that there were good margins and that there was no indication of it spreading.

I also found out that there is a 70% chance of surviving past 5 years with this stage. I guess that's providing I don't get hit by a bus. ;-)

The jury is still out as to if I will be taking chemo. I guess there is a lot of controversy about whether or not Stage 2a people should have chemo. Some doctors say yes, and some say no. What Dr. Brad suggested is that I participate in a study through which the cancer will be studied to determine whether or not there is a high risk of recurrence. If I am in that high risk group, I will take chemo. If I am not in the high risk group, I won't. I think that sounds like a good idea, so that's what I'm going to do. Plus, participating in this study will provide statistical data for treating people with colon cancer in the future. I like that idea, too.

After my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, I have had my boobs squished regularly. I suppose getting roto-rootered regularly will now be added to my health care regimen. Lovely.


No comments: